Exploring Africa’s Hidden Gem Selous Game Reserve : The Selous game reserve is located in southern Tanzania, covering over 50,000 square kilometers and 4 4-hour drive from the commercial city of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam. This game reserve is well known because of its unique landscape, abundance of wildlife, and rich, colorful birds. The Selous Game Reserve is now renamed the Nyerere National Park, amongst the largest protected areas in Africa, and is relatively unbroken by human impact. It’s also one of the national parks that receives few visitors throughout the year;
The Selous Game Reserve is renowned for the following reasons.
- It’s abundant wildlife- Selous game reserve is well known because of the large populations of wild animals, including the big five. While on the safari to this park, you will encounter different iconic species, such as lions, leopards, elephants, buffaloes, and rhinoceros, collectively known as the Big Five. Beyond these charismatic megafauna, the reserve boasts a rich tapestry of life, including wild dogs, zebras, giraffes, hippos, crocodiles, hyenas, various antelope species like impalas and kudus, as well as an astonishing variety of birdlife with over 440 species.
- It’s Unique Safari Experiences- Many different tourism activities will help you explore the beauty of this park. The reserve’s boat safaris and walking safaris offer unique and exciting ways to explore the wilderness and observe wildlife, landscape, and birds.
- Preserved and untouched safari destination. Unlike most tourist destinations in Tanzania and Africa, the Selous Game Reserve is less crowded yearly. Enjoy the sense of isolation and feel nature in this quiet and calm destination, and have the whole game reserve all for yourself.
The main activities to take part in while in Selous Game Reserve.
- Game Drives- This is one of the most popular activities that tourists participate in, while the Selous game drive is very special as it can be done both day and night. While on the game drive, you will have the perfect opportunity to observe different wildlife in this area. The sight of the Big Five, other animals, and various bird species cannot be missed.
- Guided nature Walking Safaris- The guided nature walks are usually accompanied by armed rangers who lead the group to different animal trails to experience nature and explore animal habitats on foot. The guided nature walks will give you an intimate moment with nature and get to learn and see different small creatures and explore the rich fauna of this game reserve.
- Bird-watching activity- With over 440 different bird species, this destination becomes a paradise for bird lovers. Selous Game Reserve offers the exciting opportunity to spot various avian species, from waterfowl to raptors. The best time of the year to enjoy bird watching in this game reserve is during the wet season, generally from November to April.
Boat Safaris: Explore the aquatic life and enjoy the boat ride along the Rufiji River, and have the chance to see crocodiles, hippos, and a plethora of birdlife while enjoying the still waterways. Boat safaris usually take place early in the morning so that you can enjoy the early sight of the sunrise. Another perfect boat safari usually is in the evening, enjoying the sunset and the perfect scenery of the beauty of this land.
- Sport Fishing- the Rufiji River is an excellent spot for fishing, and many lodges offer fishing excursions. You can catch various species of fish, including tiger fish and catfish. There are specific areas where spot fishing can take place in this game reserve.
When is the best time to visit Selous Game Reserve?
The Selous Game Reserve can be visited throughout the year, depending on one preference and what activities they would love to participate in.
Wet Season (November to April): This is the best time for bird lovers. The park receives heavy rain this time of the year, and the lush greenery makes for beautiful landscapes. This is not the best time for a wild game drive, as flooding may cause some areas inaccessible.
Dry Season (June to October): This is usually the peak time for tourism activities in Tanzania. As the vegetation cover becomes low, the roads can be easily accessed, and animals can be easily accessed. During this time of the year, animals can be easily located as most of them will be found crowded around the Rufiji River as they will be satisfying their thirst.