When is the best time to visit Arusha? Most visitors usually get attracted to visit the big cities of Tanzania like Dar Es Salaam, Arusha, Mwanza and Mbeya since they are said to be having every social services that attract people to visit. Each of the mentioned cities do have their very own uniqueness.
The city of Arusha is considered as the capital city for the most of the tourism area in Tanzania. It’s the beautiful weather condition that attracts most of the visitors from different part of the world. Arusha is located on the northern part of Tanzania, it receives the large number of visitors as much as the Serengeti and Ngorongoro national park. It also connects most of the national parks that are found on the northern part of Tanzania, other national parks such as Tarangire national park, Manyara national park, the mount Meru, Mount Kilimanjaro and the Arusha national park that is just few minutes away from the city center of Arusha region.
The Arusha region is located on the foots of Mountain Meru and just 1300 meters altitude that gives a great temperature that attracts many people from different part of the world. There are a lot of eating places and restaurants, the diverse culture and a live night life. The Arusha city itself has a lot of major tourism attractions, while on a visit to the northern circuit the Arusha city tour should be on your bucket list.
The best time to visit the Arusha
The perfect time to visit Arusha is during the dry season, and most of the visitors normally comes on the tour to most of the national park located on the northern circuits. The dry season is normally on the months of June all the way to October.
Major tourism attractions that are found in Tanzania
The Geneviva of Africa as nicknamed is highly blessed with many tourism destinations, the ever-green land has a lot to offer while on the visit. Below are the major tourism destinations in Arusha city.
- The local and central Maasai markets that are found in this city are the places to go, these markets portray the culture, arts and different hand made materials that are made by the Maasai tribe (main tribe found in Arusha). In these markets you will get the different colorful jewelries, hand bands, Maasai shoes, hand bags and many more materials that are handmade. Carry some cash with you so that you can grab a few of this as the gift to take back home with you.
- There also many cultural heritage centers that are found in Arusha city, the cultural heritages have many masterfully carved masks that you must see and most of them are made by the Makonde tribes that is located on the southern part of Tanzania.
- Have the most unique experience of the Tanzanite that are only mined in Arusha Tanzania, its also the perfect opportunity to see and buy some of these precious gems and take home with you.
- Visit the Meserani snake park that is located further from the city center of Arusha. There you will participate in different activities such as camel riding, visiting the Maasai Boma to have the experience of the Maasai culture, their life style and their traditional dances. While in Meserani you will also have the opportunity to see the wide range of the snakes and other reptiles and even holding some of them.
- As the main host of most of the national parks found in the northern part of Tanzania, Arusha city has the Arusha national park which is just one hour away from the city center. This national park is the home of different animals such as elephants, giraffes, zebras and different bird species. While on the tour to this national park you will participate in different activities such as game viewing, bird watching, a picnic lunch and the nature walks in this national park.
- Mount Meru waterfalls, one of the most amazing waterfall found in Arusha, and the whole of Tanzania at large. The journey from Arusha Town to the waterfall is just about seven kilometers (7Km) and takes only 15 minutes to reach there. You will have to see the waterfall, fig tree African red mahogany tree which is very huge, strong and the furniture made from it is very expensive. Also, this place sounds melodious due to the presence of rocks on the way to the waterfall. Welcome for a nature hike through the rainforest. The nature hike involves some steep ground on climbing, but it is quite manageable even for children. It is quite an adventurous and enjoyable journey through Mount Meru’s rainforest with a lash green landscape. Wherever you plan your safari to Tanzania over the rainy season this is a recommendable place that you must visit. You can spend several days venturing deep into wildlife reserves in the northern part of the country, starting with;
While at Arusha, visitors will also enjoy the traditional and cultural practices of the native tribes at Arusha, which majorly includes the Meru tribe, Hadzabe Tribe, and the largest tribe being the Maasai tribe. The Maasai are a pastoral community of East Africa living in Rift Valleys grazing livestock. A larger group of the Maasai can found around Ngorongoro conservation area grazing their cattle there. On your drive to the crater, you must pass the Maasai land, since the main route to the crater crosses their land. It is interesting to see the Maasai villages along the route and the youths herding livestock in the crater’s forest. The Maasai are distributed from Arusha to Manyara, and even to Kenya since Arusha is bordered by Kenya. Maasai and the Hadzabe are believed to be the only tribe that can live with wildlife such as the predators without encountering any negative effects. The traditional way of life of the Maasai is so fascinating and the visitors can enjoy greatly as they visit the place. They may also be allowed to enter in the traditional houses of the Maasai and see how they are built and constructed.