Activities in Serengeti National Park
Activities in Serengeti National Park: Serengeti national park is a UNESCO World Heritage site that is located in the northern part of Tanzania at the border with Kenya. The national park covers a total area of 30,000 square kilometers which is comprised of open woodland, grasslands, shrubs, and Riverine forests which act as habitats for different animals including elephants, buffaloes, elands, waterbucks, impalas, jackals, warthogs, bat eared fox, leopards, serval cats, giraffes, gazelle, topi, hartebeests, wild dogs and different bird species.
Activities in Serengeti national park
- Game drives in Serengeti national park: Game drives are the most popular activities carried out in Serengeti national park and they are done in a 4WD safari vehicle with a professional driver guide. Game drives in Serengeti national park are subdivided into four groups which are morning game drives which are done early in the morning after breakfast and they are the most rewarding because visitors will be able to view animals when they are still active. During the morning game drives you will be able to view animals like elephants, buffaloes, giraffes, topi, zebras, elands, impala, gazelle among others which will be grazing in open plains with due and predators like leopards, hyenas, lions among others looking for a morning hunt. Afternoon game drives which are done after lunch, full day game drives which are visitors will wake up early and carry picnic lunch to go for a full day game drive with great views of animals like buffaloes, elephants, elephants, giraffes, lions, leopards, elands among other. The last type of game drives is the night game drives which are not common in Serengeti national park but available on request. during the night game drives you will be able to view nocturnal animals like lions, leopards, hyenas, jackals, civets, bush babies, aardvarks, nightjars, view hippos grazing among others.
- Bird watching in Serengeti national park: Serengeti national park is a home of more than 500 recorded bird species including savannah birds, endemic birds which are only found in Tanzania, near endemic birds which are also found in the neighboring countries, migratory birds and water birds. bird watching in the park starts very early in the morning with an experienced bird guide who will help you to spot different bird species such as grey breasted spurfowl, secretary bird, rufous tailed weaver, fischers lovebird, green backed woodpecker, silverbird, red capped robin chat, grey crested helmet shrike, southern ground hornbill, yellow throated sandgrouse, Hildebrandts starling, verreauxs eagle, usambiro barbet, black headed gonolek, black eagle among others.
- Guided nature walks in Serengeti national park: During your safari in Serengeti national park you can also engage in an interesting nature walk where you will be able to explore the park on foot with the company of an experienced park guide and an armed park ranger. During the guided nature walk you will be able to get up-close and personal with wildlife species including birds, reptiles, mammals, plants, insects among others. You will also be able to feel the cool breeze, relax your mind and breathe fresh air.
- Hot air balloon in Serengeti national park: Hot air balloon in Serengeti national park is an exciting activity in the park where you will get an opportunity to explore the endless Serengeti plains in a hot air balloon. Hot air balloon safaris in Serengeti national park, start very early in the morning at around 5:00am with a pick up from your lodge to the starting point where you will be briefed about the safety guidelines by the pilot and other balloon crew members. After the briefing you will start flying up in the air which gives you an opportunity to enjoy great views of different animals, shrubs, bird species, tree tops among others. After the hot air balloon flight which takes about one hour you will descend down to the starting point where you will be served bush breakfast with a glass of champagne.
- Cultural tour in Serengeti national park: Serengeti national park also offers interesting cultural tours where visitors will visit the Maasai villages around the park. during the cultural tour you will be able interact with the Maasai people, learn about their traditions, culture, lifestyle, visit their homesteads, village schools, enjoy their traditional entertainments, buy an African souvenir from the local people, taste their traditional dishes among others.
Best time to visit Serengeti national park
Serengeti national park can be visited anytime throughout the year though the best time is during the dry season also known as the peak season in the months of June to October and December to February. During the dry season there is little rainfall in the national park therefore access roads will be passable, vegetation will be thin which makes animal viewing easy, different animals will gather around the water bodies to drink water and January to February is the best time for calving where you will be able to view large numbers of animals and take beautiful pictures.
Serengeti national park can also be visited in the wet or low season in the months of march to may and November because that’s the best time for bird watching where bird lovers will be able to view large concentrations of migratory bird species, the national park will have few crowds and vegetation will be lush.